Well today I came to understand the saying "this is going to hurt me much more than it will hurt you." Chelsea had her 2 month check up with the doctor today. The good news is she is healthy as can be. She weighs in at 12 lbs 5 oz and is 24 1/2 inches long. Doc says her heart and lungs sound great and she is developing well. He even commented on how happy she was. The bad news was that Chelsea needed 4 shots. I have been nervous about the appointment for a few days now, knowing that my little girl was going to be a human pin cushion. I felt so bad for her. When we got to the doc office she was sooo happy. I had to undress her and lay her on the table and she just starred up at me with her big blue eyes and a gigantic smile having absolutely no clue what was going to happen next. I was so nervous. I would have handled the shots much better if I was on the receiving end but having to watch my daughter get stuck like a needle work project gets to me. So the nurses came in and rubbed her little thighs with alcohol and before I knew it it was over with. The nurses were sooo good and efficient. One was on one side and one was on the other and they each gave her two shots in her thighs and they were done. I was up by her head having a panic attack. Chelsea was such a trooper. She cried when they stuck her of course, but as soon as I picked her up to love her she settled right down. She had big alligator tears, which of course broke my heart, but she was back to her smiley self within minutes. I guess it just goes to show how resilient kids are. Now she has a big ol' band aid on each of her thighs. Now I just need to remind myself not to freak out when she goes back at 4 months for more shots!Thursday, October 23, 2008
Needles & Band aids
Well today I came to understand the saying "this is going to hurt me much more than it will hurt you." Chelsea had her 2 month check up with the doctor today. The good news is she is healthy as can be. She weighs in at 12 lbs 5 oz and is 24 1/2 inches long. Doc says her heart and lungs sound great and she is developing well. He even commented on how happy she was. The bad news was that Chelsea needed 4 shots. I have been nervous about the appointment for a few days now, knowing that my little girl was going to be a human pin cushion. I felt so bad for her. When we got to the doc office she was sooo happy. I had to undress her and lay her on the table and she just starred up at me with her big blue eyes and a gigantic smile having absolutely no clue what was going to happen next. I was so nervous. I would have handled the shots much better if I was on the receiving end but having to watch my daughter get stuck like a needle work project gets to me. So the nurses came in and rubbed her little thighs with alcohol and before I knew it it was over with. The nurses were sooo good and efficient. One was on one side and one was on the other and they each gave her two shots in her thighs and they were done. I was up by her head having a panic attack. Chelsea was such a trooper. She cried when they stuck her of course, but as soon as I picked her up to love her she settled right down. She had big alligator tears, which of course broke my heart, but she was back to her smiley self within minutes. I guess it just goes to show how resilient kids are. Now she has a big ol' band aid on each of her thighs. Now I just need to remind myself not to freak out when she goes back at 4 months for more shots!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Oh my poor little grandbaby. She needed her grams there to help wripe those tears away. I got to hold Cynthia's baby tonight and he is so small compared to Chelsea. I miss my baby. I'm soooo tempted to just hop a plane and leave a note saying "sorry had to go."
I hated the shots too - way more than Liane did, but the worst for me was her 12 month ones... to me she was so much older and understood so much more and she looked at me like "Mommy why are you doing this to me - help me" KILLED me. Hang in there , I cant tell you it gets any easier! :-(
Post a Comment