Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Conference Weekend

We had a full house for conference this time. My sister Charity and several of her friends from California came to Utah to see conference and stayed with us for the time they were here. They drove up Friday and got to our house Friday evening. When they arrived they were treated to a FINE meal created by your truly! (There are a lot of things that I don't do well...cooking is NOT one of those things) We had yummy fajitas, rice and brownies for dessert (Brad is the master brownie maker so he took care of that part of the meal).


Brad enjoying a tortilla



Charity was so excited to see her niece. She held her from the second she walked in the door! It's so funny to watch Charity with Chelsea. She talks to her like she use to talk to our dog Ginger. I know that sounds funny but it's true. I guess it's just the way she talks to the people/pets that she loves!



Mmmm...love the smell of baby!

After dinner we all piled in our tiny living room and enjoyed our yummy dessert and watched Iron Man. BTW: if you haven't seen that movie...I would highly recommend it! It's excellent! After the movie all of our house guests retired to our basement to catch some zzz's. It made both Brad and I very happy that all of our hard work in the basement paid off and we were able to host such a large group due to our extra space down stairs!


On Saturday morning the whole crew woke up to the smell of hotcakes on the grill. We all enjoyed a delicious pancake breakfast and sat down to watch the first session of conference. Then Charity and the gang left to go brave the crowds and pouring rain down in Salt Lake to try and get some tickets for the afternoon session of conference. Brad and I stayed home with Chelsea and enjoyed the calm and silence for a while.


Charity and her date struck it lucky! While they were standing in the standby line to get tickets a very kind gentleman asked if they wanted 2 tickets. They graciously accepted and ended up in Section ONE of the conference center. Front and Center. They were so close to the general authorities that they got to shake Elder Scott's hand. Charity said that it was well worth the 13 hour trip up.


While the guys went to the Priesthood session of conference Charity and I got a special treat. We were able to get together with some long lost friends from our San Diego days. We took Chelsea and drove down to Salt Lake and met at our friend Aunika's house. There we met up with our friends Susan and Darcie. We all went to this quaint little coffee shop/bakery/restaurant place and enjoyed a wonderful evening of catching up and good food. Charity decided to skip the dinner part and went straight for dessert!


It was SO good to see the girls that we saw. All of our lives have changed so much since we last saw each other and it was wonderful to get reacquainted and share our stories. Charity got to sit around and listen to a bunch of married women! And I was so proud of Chelsea who slept the whole evening away, allowing me to really enjoy myself!

Darcie and Charity


Chelsea, Me, Susan, Charity, Aunika & Darcie


Sunday morning our house guest said farewell and headed back down to California. I have to hand it to them. They were the most polite house guests ever. It was "please" and "thank you" for everything and they made sure they washed their dishes and put them in the sink and they kept the basement so tidy! Brad says they are welcome back anytime!

Then Brad and I spent the rest of Sunday enjoying conference. Two of my favorite talks were Elder Holland's talk about Angels on Saturday afternoon and President Monson's talk about change and enjoying the journey on Sunday morning session. One of my favorite quotes from conference came from Elder Holland's talk.

"When we speak of those who are instruments in the hand of God we're reminded that not all angels are from the other side of the veil. Some of them we walk with and talk with, here, now, every day. Some of them reside in our own neighborhoods. Some of them gave birth to us. And in my case one of them consented to marry me. Indeed, Heaven never seems closer than when we see the love of God manifested in the kindness and devotion of people so good and so pure that angelic is the only word that comes to mind." -- Elder Holland

I feel so grateful for the "angels" in my life. I have been so blessed with such wonderful parents, in-laws, friends, and an amazing husband. I love Elder Holland's message reminding us of God's love and constant presence in our lives. Reminding us that we are never alone in our struggles and challenges. And also the reminder that we can be angels in other people's lives.

The weekend was a wonderful one. A visit from my sister, reuniting with old friends, and messages from inspired leaders!

2 comments:

sara said...

Charity is so cute. Great pics of her and Chelsea! We just watched Iron Man too and I loved it! Great movie. Can't wait for part 2! Also, LOVE that bakery. It's one of our favorite stops in SLC. I drove past it 3 times the other day trying to decide whether I wanted to brave it alone with the kids. We went to McDonalds instead. They have spectacular French onion soup. YUM!

Vanessa said...

I didnt know Charity was here! Fun!