Monday, April 12, 2010

It shouldn't be this hard, should it?

I'm not sure why, but choosing a name for baby girl #2 continues to be a huge stress in my life.  It really shouldn't be this difficult should it?  I have literally lost hours of sleep and shed tears over it.  Sounds rediculous, I know!  I realize that we still have about 3 months to make this decision, PLENTY of time to come up with a name, but I think I am feeling so stressed about it because it feels hopeless.  Last time we strugggled to come up with a name that Brad and I both liked, however, my list alone was a mile long.  I had tons and tons of names that I just loved and would have been happy if Brad liked any of the names on that list.  In the end we chose Chelsea, we both FELT really good about the name and it's fits perfect with our little Chelsea.  I can't imagine her with any other name.  But this time I find myself being MUCH MUCH more picky.  My list of names is super short and getting shorted by the week.  All the names that I liked the last round don't sound so appealing to me any more.  Some of my other problems are these: #1- family names are out.  The family names we have to chose from are names like Beverly, Mildred and Betty.  Although great women who were loved by their families...I'm just not going there.  #2 - I really really can't bring myself to do a "popular" name.  There are some stinkin' cute names out there (i.e Madeline, Madison, Olivia, Addison and Paige seems to be a big one now) but they are so popular right now.  The idea of having one of 5 "Madisons" in my child's nursery just drives me crazy.  So if I know anyone that has a kid with a particular name...it's out for me.  If the name is within the top 50 names on the top 100 list...it's out for me.  Geez.  #3 - So go with a more original name. Nope...having a hard time with that as well.  I want people to be able to pronounce my kid's name correctly and not have problems spelling it.  So nothing too out there. #4 - the name just needs to FEEL right.  There are a lot of names out there that I like (that list is still a mile long).  I think they are great names...but for someone else's child.  I want the name we pick for this little one to FEEL right.  Once it's chosen she's stuck with it for the rest of her life. And then if I get through all those hurdles...I find a name that isn't too popular, that is easily pronouced and spelled and FEELS right, then we have obstical #5 - getting Brad to like it also...NO EASY TASK!!!  And he has his own set of criteria that the name must meet.  It just feels like a hopeless situation.  I have had a couple of names that I have really felt good about and have gotten pretty attached to, however, they haven't met Brad's approval, so the process starts over. If anyone has taken the time to read this whole thing, you are undoubably sitting there shaking your head and thinking "JUST GET OVER IT WOMAN...PICK A NAME"! So I do realize how rediculous this whole thing sounds and how picky I am being and how I am the one making it difficult on myself and I HATE IT, but it is what it is and so I continue to search baby name websites and books, continue to keep my eyes peeled when the credits roll on any movie or tv show, continue to rack my brain for a name that might just be the ONE. It's exhausting!  Again, it really shouldn't be this hard, should it???

8 comments:

Tracy said...

Oh, girl names are SOOOOO much harder to choose than boy names. We had Oaklee picked out since we were married then when I was pregnant with Alyssa it sounded so bad to me. Then when we were pregnant with Jackson (and didn't know the sex) I loved it again. It is ok to be crazy right now, we have been there and know the feelings you are having. Have a contest on FB or something, you never know someone could give you a name that you both adore.

Oh and I know how bad it sucks to have names you love then have your husband veto them! I told Jared that since I was doing all the work that I got to choose the name :)

Good luck, hey I wrote my own little book here;)

Erin said...

Personally, I think whoever pushed the child out of their body should have total naming rights. Unfortunately, my husband doesn't go for the theory either. We haven't even had a kid yet, and we have already had several heated debates about this topic. I can only imagine the pressure when your due date is looming. Maybe when the little one comes into the world, you'll take one look at her and just know?

Allison said...

Oh Mo, this post just proves what a great mother you are going to be to this beautiful (though nameless...hehehe) child. I cannot imagine the pressure of naming a person for life. I think you are being totally rationale. I LOVE the name that you sent me the other day. Did Brad give it the x-nay? My verification word to add this comment is arepod. That sounds like a lovely name. Ok, fine, enough with the jokes. Good Luck!

canohappiness said...

Hang in there girl... it will come to you and your child will have a name :-) Just name her Polly ( I LOVE this name, but pretty sure I will never be able to use it... so, its yours... your welcome :-)

Anonymous said...

I've heard that's pretty common. My brother & his wife had the same problem. Finding a name that you both like is not easy, so I've been told. I had two families in my ward who had to come up with 6 girl names & another one who had to come up with 6 boy names. It gets harder the more you have. I've also been told usually you get a name picked & when they are born the right name his as soon as you see them and some of the time it is way different then you had picked.
Good luck it will come all in good time!

Nicole said...

Hey Mo. Maybe it's really a boy! Just a thought. It happens. :) Actually it sounds EXACTLY like how Holden and I were with Belen's name. It came down to what he wanted though and I have come to love it. It will come to you somehow. How about Minerva. Just finished a Harry Potter book. Good luck!

sara said...

I think you should get to choose the name. I told Jay if he gave birth he could have an opinion. If it's a boy I give him a little bit more leeway but he does not know what it's like to live as a girl. With a name. So. ;)

I'm not really that mean but I care so much more than he does. And I have better names. And I have better reasons. He just vetoes them because there was a mean fat kid with glasses named Jacob in his class.

Have you tried genealogy? We have found some pretty sweet names. You guys should come over and you can look through the phone book from the school.

Jeff and Mandy said...

How are you feeling Mo? This is my thing. Yes, Brad has to like the name too and you should both feel good about it, BUT, you are the one going through a 9 month pregnancy and labor pains and giving birth, so if there is a name you really feel good about, then Brad needs to lighten up! That is my 2 cents! :) But yeah, when Mackenna came out we just knew. I feel like you have to see the baby first before you decide.I had always loved it and Jeff liked it too. So good luck and Happy Choosing!