Race #1 of my little race circuit complete. Saturday, May 7th, was the Susan G. Komen 5K Race for the Cure. It was an amazing experience being there and participating. I ran this race back in 2006 but it wasn't nearly as emotional for me back then as it was this time around. I was one of something like 20,000 race participants. TWENTY THOUSAND...that is a CRAP LOAD of people!!! There was so much energy from everyone. There was music, and cheering, and people wearing outrageous pink costumes and thousands of "In Memory of" or "In Celebration" of signs. I decided to run this race this year partly because of the cause (raising $ for breast cancer) but mostly I just needed a 5K race this time of year. So it took me off gaurd that I was so emotional. Part of the emotion came from the fact that this was my first race in a long time and it marked the beginning of a long journey for me, but I think more than that was the fact that as I looked around at all the support being given to the cause of breast cancer (and cancer in general) awareness and research I couldn't help but think of my own mother who just last year fought her own battle with breast cancer and won. I also, thought about my grandmother who died of lung cancer just a few years ago. While waiting at the starting line for the race to begin I had to fight back tears a few times. It was an incredible feeling to be a part of something so big and so important, while at the same time acheiving a personal goal. I look forward to racing again in this AMAZING race next year!
| this is what I crossed the finish line to see :) |
| a look-see at a small part of the SEA of people |
| May 7, 2011 |
| My goal was to RUN the whole race (no walking) and to finish in under 45 min. Mission accomplished on both counts. Finish time was 40 min and I ran it all! |
4 comments:
Thanks for the support. It is because I have a great family that I was able to endure. And the fact that the Lord knows what I wouldn't be able to handle.
It is because I have such a great family that supported me through the whole ordeal. And the fact that the Lord knows what we can and can't handle.
You are so awesome!! We need to do a race together sometime! Thats one thing we have not done together - shocking!
You look AMAZING! Not fair that you can look so stinking cute after a very early morning and a run. Way to go Mo!
Post a Comment