Saturday, July 18, 2009

My Summer Project

I spent most of the month of May and into June working on a little project. My brother and Sister-in-Law are expecting a baby girl in August and told them I would help them with a changing table. For my changing table I just took Brad's old dresser and sanded it down and painted it white, and then put new knobs on it. I didn't realize how lucky we were to have a dresser that was exactly the right size. The first part of the project was just trying to find a used dresser that met all of my requirements (i.e. right height, length, depth, type of wood, and PRICE). After weeks of searching I found a good deal at the DI on a dresser that was the right dimensions and it came with two nightstands that I figured they could stack on top of each other and use as extra drawer space in the baby room. So then the manual labor started! I spend the next few weeks sanding...and sanding...and sanding. We have an electric sander but it still took quite a long time to get everything sanded down. Next was the fun part...painting. I painted the dresser and the two nightstands an espresso brown color (which I am hoping matches pretty closely with their espresso colored crib) and then finished it off with some cute pink knobs. Their baby room colors are brown and pink so I thought the knobs would add a nice touch. Anyway, I was glad to have them all done and ready to go before we headed down to California where we gave them to Jeff and Mandy. I think that will be my last furniture refinishing project for quite a while. But it was fun.

Here are some before and after shots of my handy work



Nightstands - BEFORE

Dresser - IN PROCESS


The FINISHED Product

1 comment:

Jeff and Mandy said...

They turned out AMAZING! THANK YOU SO SOOOO MUCH!! We LOVE the whole set, and it will look so great with our crib and bedding! YOU'RE THE BEST!