Saturday, November 13, 2010

Cherry Blossom Cake

I made this cake for a good friend's daughter's birthday.  She had a Japanese themed birthday and she requested a Japanese Cherry Blossom cake.  This is what it came out to be.


Devil's food cake.  Oreo cookies and cream filling.  Covered in sage green fondant.  Covered in gum paste cherry blossoms.  Happy birthday in Japanese written on the top.
What I learned from this experience:  Don't leave drying decorations out.  Chelsea WILL destroy them no matter how many times you tell her not to touch them.  I had to redo the blossoms at the last minute because Chelsea destroyed my first batch.  Also, I need a better fondant recipe.  I made this fondant and although it tasted pretty good, as far as fondant goes, it was VERY difficult to work with. It tore very easily.  Oh well.  I most definitely need a bigger kitchen!

3 comments:

stearman family Blog said...

Looks really nice. Yes you do need a bigger kitchen for someone who is very talented in the cooking and baking dept. I would have shipped Chelsea off somewhere.... Like California to spend time with grandma D. :)

Janae said...

Nice job Mo! I love your yummy creativity!

Allison said...

That is sooooo cute! Love the colors! You are talented and I cant wait to see you tomorrow!