Today is not my favorite day. I was recently told by my Doc that I have gestational diabetes. Not a real shocker considering I birthed a near 12 lb baby last time around, but still not great news to hear. So today I met with a diabetes educator/dietitian to learn the ropes of my new life style. And let me tell you it is a NEW life style! I spent nearly the entire hour with this woman doing my best to hold back tears (thankfully it worked until the second I was safely in my car and then the flood gates opened) and learning how very different life is going to be for me and my family. The first bomb shell she dropped on me was the fact that I have to prick myself with a needle 4 times daily and draw blood. Now doesn't that sound pleasant??? So now my very busy life is on strict a finger pricking schedule. In addition to the multiple daily finger prickings, I must pee on a stick every single morning and write down what color the stick comes up. Not nearly as exciting as the peeing on a stick that gives you a + or a - sign. Next on the list was the topic of Carbs. Carbs = BAD for people with diabetes. I was then told how VERY VERY little of them I can actually have. But that wasn't the worst part of the whole ordeal. The discussion then led into exactly which foods contain carbs. I mean there are the no brainers...the obvious ones, your breads and pastas and potatoes. Oh but the list doesn't stop there. Oh No. There are carbs in EVERYTHING. My whole life I have been taught Fruit = Good for you. WRONG. Not good for the girl with gestational diabetes. Most recently there has been a big push for legumes. Beans = lots of fiber = Good for you. WRONG. Not good for the girl with gestational diabetes. And the one that KILLED ME and nearly sent the tears overboard...YOGURT IS A CARB!!! Devastating! Did you know that a full banana = 2 servings of carbs...not one serving...but 2??? It seems crazy to me. After this discussion the reality of this whole thing has set in. I have realized how carb ridden my eating has been and how unconscience I have been about my eating habits. This change is not going to be an easy one.
Over the last year and a half I have spend a considerable amount of time menu planning and getting together a pretty good list of dinners for our family that were liked by all, some food storage friendly, and some budget friendly. Mostly this effort came from the desire to stick closer to our budget. We have been pretty diligent in sticking to our menu plans which then has really helped us to stick to our budget too. And even when I was doing Weight Watchers (post Chelsea) the meals fit easily into my eating plan (so long as I kept the portion size right). But THIS new twist on things just blows my dinner menu out of the water. So much for sticking to a budget. Rice and pasta are cheap...Produce and meats...not so cheap. I also recently learned from a friend how to incorporate more grains into my cooking in order to add more nutrition and fiber to my families diets as well as to stretch my meats. Hmmm...not gonna work so well for me now. Adding MORE carbs to my meals wouldn't be smart. And the most Ironic part of the whole thing...I teach bread classes! Hello! The girl that teaches others how to make bread, and rolls and pizzas and cinnamon rolls and bread sticks and all things bread, the girl that would say that her favorite food is bread CAN'T EAT BREAD anymore. Oh, the Irony!
Friday, May 7, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
Oh, oh, oh, I feel you! I was diabetic with Hunter's pregnancy. We were living on a VERY small budget and trying to get ready for a new baby. It is tough, but you can do it! Here is what I learned...
-Don't freak yourself out with NO carbs. If you are eating protein with the carbs, they will be absorbed much easier. I tried this with Alyssa's pregnancy before the TEST and I was only borderline. Same with Jackson's. I almost had to have no carbs with Hunter because I didn't know what I was doing, even after a visit with the nutritionist.
-The finger pricking is only a big deal for a couple days, you get the hang of it and it becomes second nature. I have some of my stuff left also, not sure if you need a meter or your insurance gave you one. You are more than welcome to mine.
-Drink LOTS of water, I found that helped my blood sugar go down pretty fast.
-Exercising will help the blood sugars go down also, so if you can get some good walks in, do it. I will go with you anytime.
-Chicken will pretty much be your best friend for the next few months, that goes on sale for much better than anything else.
Good luck and I am only a phone call away if you need to talk or have any questions.
Oh Mo, I feel your pain. I've dealt with the whole fingerprickin' thing twice and with Carma they said oh now we just consider you diabetic. Great. So listen I just called you and left you a message. Give me a call back and we'll chat. I'm also coming up in july and I wanted to see if we could hang. I know that's when your due, but you'll be having this baby early. They induce gestational diabetes to make sure you don't have big babies. Ha ha! So no repeat of last time, thank goodness. Anywho, call me!
There is a great website/blog that we give to clients because of it's extensive info about GD. I didn't pass my GD test with Anicka but I didn't take it with my other babies. The site is http://www.plus-size-pregnancy.org/ and there is a link on the front to go to the main index page or something like that. If you scroll down there is a section and it has a TON of stuff. Great stuff. Meal plans, more info, blahblahblah.
I feel your pain. I get weird blood sugar issues, especially when pregnant. I thought I was having a stroke last time but it was just my flood sugar dropping so much. and Jay's mom has diabetes so I know he's more prone to it so we try to eat a more diabetes friendly diet.
A high protein diet during pregnancy is good for a lot of reasons. Eating fiber with sugars helps balance things out when/if you eat higher carb foods try to get a ton of fiber in too.
I am sorry. NOT FUN!
Oh my gosh, Jeff just said, why didn't anyone call us and tell us? I'm so sorry, that is just crazy. How did they find out you had that? Was it a certain test they did on you? Well you are in our prayers!
Oh man, you poor thing! Man, if I were you, I'd not only be crying, but hyperventilating as well, LOL. That totally sucks. Looks like you have tons of support from women who've been there, though, which is nice. Good luck with all the new adjustments!
I'm sorry Mel!! This sounds so not fun. I hope things get easier!
My heart hurts for you! I read and cried at the same time. why do challenges have to be so challenging? Hope you know you are in my prayers.
xoxo
p.s. can I pay you to make my wedding cake? :)
p.p.s I need your address
I'm so sorry Mo! I know your love of bread rivals mine. . . hang in there! You can do it!
Holy smokes Mo I'm so sorry to hear that. I wish I could wave a magic wand and make it all better for you.
Post a Comment