Saturday, May 3, 2008

Salt Lake City 5K - April 19, 2008













A 5K is a far cry from the 1/2 marathon I did in 2006 but it was a great experience. A lot of my friends were planning on running in the Salt Lake half marathon (way to go guys!) and I was jealous. Until a good friend of mine (thanks Donna!) menitoned that I should think about walking the 5K race (her exact words were "Pregnant people can walk!"). So that was that! I decided I was going to partipate in the race...I just wouldn't be running and it wouldn't be 13.1 miles but 3.1 miles instead. So I got excited and started planning. Then out of nowhere Brad decided he wanted to walk it with me. I was sooo excited. He's never shown any interest in running with me so his enthusiasm to participate in this race with me was so great. And besides that it's always fun to do a race with someone else rather than doing it by yourself. So he signed us both up. I figured my belly would cross the finish line before the rest of me would so I decided to make a t-shirt that said "Future Marathoner on Board". It was fun to wear. I got a few looks from people.
The race was so fun but also challenging. I had to pee at mile 1! Uh...what the heck???? I was very disappointed that I had to stop and wait in line for one of those nasty porta potties but when you gotta go...you gotta go! Brad was very sweet and waited for me. Then I let him run... off by himself. I walked mile 1-3 by myself. It was just me and my tunes. It was like old times only...much slower. When I got to the end of the race Brad was waiting for me so that we could cross the finish line together. (Isn't that nice of him?) So we did. We crossed holding hands. We finished in 56 minutes (which would have been several minutes shorter had we not had to make a pit stop at the porta pottys). It was a fun thing to do together.
It was also fun to cheer on my friends that really went the long hual. It was my friend Vanessa's first half marathon and she ran it with her husband. They did fantastic! My other friends Allison and Penny also ran the half but they are old pro's and finished like champions! I'm very proud of them all. It was such a great event and I really look forward to participating next year. The goal is to start training after Chelsea is born and do the half marathon next April. It'll be tough but I'm excited. Brad wants to get a bike and train and participate in the bike race they do every year. Hopefully we will both meet our goals!


Vanessa & Me

Vanessa, Me & Brad

Penny, Me & Allison








No comments: