Monday, July 12, 2010

The Differences

I go in to have our newest baby girl in just a few hours.  I haven't really written or documented a whole lot about this pregnancy to this point and thought it would be good to get some thoughts down before I forget and before things get too crazy.  So for those reading...this is more a journal entry for me so I hope you don't get too bored.

This pregnancy has been a 100% complete difference from my pregnancy with Chelsea.  To start off, when I found out I was pregnant with Chelsea, Brad pretty much had to force me to take a pregnancy test.  I had miscarried before that and I was terrified of not being able to get pregnant again so I was kind of in denial.  The double pink line on the stick came as the BEST Christmas present ever.  This time however, I was 3 days late and I KNEW.  The two pink lines on the stick were just more of a confirmation.  This pregnancy came earlier than I had planned on so it took me a little while to get excited about it.  But once I got on board with  the whole "the Lord's timing & not ours" thing I was very excited. Next BIG difference...I was introduced to morning sickness/all day sickness.  With Chelsea there were days when I didn't feel good but for the most part I really didn't have any morning sickness.  I consider myself really lucky because  this was a WHOLE new experience for me.  I think the day I turned 6 weeks my world turned upside down.  I hadn't thrown up before that for like 10 years.  I had no energy, I couldn't really function and I lived on ginger snaps cookies and strawberry smoothies because that was all that I could stomach.  I feel blessed that I am a stay at home mom and didn't have to suffer through a work schedule while dealing with the first trimester and all morning sickness that came with it.  Next HUGE difference...my doctor.  With Chelsea I had a doctor that I wasn't comfortable with and in the end I ended up hating.  This time I LOVE LOVE LOVE my doctor.  She has been wonderful.  She takes the time to listen to me and my concerns, she makes sure I understand everything and more importantly she makes she's sure I FEEL good about things.  She is personable and friendly, she's never made me feel dumb or like I'm wasting her time and probably the biggest thing is how "on top of things" she has been.  Nothing slips through the cracks with her.  She has done everything she can to make sure my baby arrives healthy.  Having a great doctor really makes a difference. 
I'm sure I had Gestational Diabetes during my pregnancy with Chelsea (most people don't delivery 11 1/2 lb babies if they don't) however, it went undiagnosed.  This time I found out I had GD at about 28 weeks.  This diagnosis meant a WHOLE LOT of changes.  I went from eating whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted to a strict strict low carb diet (if I never see another egg again it will be too soon).  I started checking my blood sugar levels 4 times daily, started giving myself daily insulin shots, started meeting with a diabetes counselor on a regular basis and went from doctors appointments twice a month to doctors appointments twice a week, which included NST's twice a week.  It made life a lot more crazy.  But I am grateful that the GD was caught this time and that I did have a doctor this time who has been so diligent in keeping track of me and mine and my baby's health.  Next difference is my blood pressure.  Last round my blood pressure my entire third trimester was through the roof.  I attribute this to my VERY VERY stressful last few months of working. Not working and having all the stress that comes with it has made a huge difference for me.  This time my blood pressure has been great and has held steady.  Along with that I will add my "elephant feet" that I had last round.  At exactly 30 weeks last time my ankles swelled up so bad and didn't go back to normal size for a good few weeks after giving birth.  It didn't matter how often I propped them up, how much water I drank or how much I stayed off my feet, my Kankles were ridiculous.  This time I have managed to keep my ankles.  No swelling, no puffiness, and no pain.  It's been WONDERFUL.  Another blessing I attribute to not working.  Last time my weight gain was a WHOPPING 65 LBS.  This time I'm right around about a 35 lb weight gain.  Still not pretty but much better than 65lbs. Last time, I had Chelsea at 40 weeks and one day.  We tried everything to get that "little" girl to come on her own but ended up being induced and in the end had a much dreaded C-section instead.  A traumatic experience for me.  This time, I will be delivering at 38 weeks and one day.  It is a scheduled C-section, which I have had several months to process and come to terms with.  I think those are the biggest differences.  It will be interesting to see the differences in my delivery, my recovery, the WEIGHT of my little one and all the other things to come.
Now, a little bit about how I am feeling.  I think I have every emotion all wrapped up inside of me.  I'm super anxious.  I'm so excited to meet my little girl.  To see what she looks like (does she look like Brad, does she look like Chelsea).  To see how Chelsea does with her.  To watch Chelsea be a big sister.  To hold her.  To be done being pregnant.  To be done poking my finger and done with shots.  I'm nervous too.  I'm nervous about being able to handle two children.  Nervous about making sure Chelsea gets the attention she needs and making sure she doesn't feel brushed aside.  Nervous about being a good mom and making right choices.  Nervous about nursing.  Nervous about the pain that comes with a C-section.  Nervous about all the things I can't do during my recovery time.  Nervous about being away from Chelsea for 4 days while in the hospital (I have never been away from her for more than a few hours).  Nervous that she will be born healthy and with no complications.  But mostly excited.  Our family of three is going to be a family of four very very soon.  Life doesn't get more exciting than that.

3 comments:

Tracy said...

Well, now that I know how much better it was, I can say everything will be fine and you will do so much better;)

As for the nerves of after the birth, you know that you have a whole ward of women more than willing to help anywhere you need it. I can take Chelsea or hold Ruby (please???? I'm so excited for other people's babies!) so you can get something done or get that something done for you. Just call me.

By the way, my friend has Dr, Fillerup (sp?) and she LOVES her too. She is prego and having another c-section also.

Allison said...

Loved reading this Mo. I am so excited for your little family of four! Your new addition is a doll and I have no doubt you will make the switch from mother of one to mother of two flawlessly. CONGRATS!

The Youngs said...

First of all, I am glad you have had a much better experience than the first one. Little Ruby is such a sweetie.

You are a wonderful mommy. Chelsea and Ruby are very lucky to have you as a mom.

And of course, I am glad I am your neighbor (well close enough to being a neighbor) - when I go through all this - I will need your help and tips.